Univ.-Prof. Dr.-Ing. Bernd Markert
Institut für Allgemeine Mechanik
1. OG, Raum 114
|Okt. 2016||Prodekan für Lehre der Fakultät für Maschinenwesen, RWTH Aachen University, Germany|
|Jan. 2016||Executive Board Member of proRWTH, RWTH Aachen University, Germany|
|Sep. 2015||Rector’s Delegate for Alumni, RWTH Aachen University, Germany|
|Sep. 2015||Concurrent Professor at Nanjing Forestry University, China|
|Feb. 2015||Honorary Adjunct Professor at Department of Engineering and Science, University of Agder, Norway|
|Aug. 2013||Scientific Director of the International Master Programme in Computer Aided Mechanical Engineering (CAME) at RWTH International Academy gGmbH, Germany|
|Aug. 2013||Full Professor and Director of the Institute of General Mechanics (IAM) at RWTH Aachen University, Germany, Faculty of Mechanical Engineering|
|2013||Adjunct Professor (apl. Prof.) at University of Stuttgart, Germany, Faculty of Civil and Environmental Engineering|
|2002–2013||Tenure Senior Lecturer at Institute of Applied Mechanics (Civil Engineering), University of Stuttgart, Germany, Faculty of Civil and Environmental Engineering|
|1998–2002||Research Associate and Assistant Lecturer at Institute of Applied Mechanics (Civil Engineering), University of Stuttgart, Germany|
|Jul.2005||Doctoral degree (Dr.-Ing.) with distinction from University of Stuttgart, Germany|
|Jan.1998||Diploma degree (Dipl.-Ing.) in Civil Engineering from University of Stuttgart, Germany|
|2010–2013||Privatdozent (PD) for Mechanics at University of Stuttgart, Germany|
|Jun.2010||Habilitation in Mechanics (facultas docendi and venia legendi), University of Stuttgart, Professorial thesis: "Weak or Strong: On Coupled Problems in Continuum Mechanics"|
|Sep.2008||Elected Participant of the English for Teaching Seminar 2006, Maryland English Institute, University of Maryland, College Park, USA|
|2007–2013||Participating Young Researcher, Stuttgart Research Center and Cluster of Excellence (EXC310) in Simulation Technology (SimTech), University of Stuttgart, Germany|
|Sep.2001||Participant of the Advanced School Biomechanics of Soft Tissue, Centre International des Sciences Mécaniques (CISM), Udine, Italy|
|Dec.2000||Visiting Researcher at Department of Biomedical Engineering, Materials Technology (dr. ir. Jacques Huyghe), Eindhoven University of Technology, The Netherlands|
|Jul.1999||Participant of the Advanced School Bone Cell and Tissue Mechanics, Centre International des Sciences Mécaniques (CISM), Udine, Italy|
|Oct. 2015||Recipient of the Royal Token from Her Royal Highness Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn for personal commitment to the Thai-German Graduate School (TGGS) of Engineering, King Monkut’s University of Technology North Bangkok, Thailand|
|2014–2015||Appointed German Co-Chair of the Brazilian-German Frontiers of Science and Technology (BRAGFOST) Symposia of the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation|
|Sep.2009||Invited Participant of the 1 st Indo-German Frontiers of Engineering (INDOGFOE) Symposium of the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation, IIT Madras, Chennai, India|
|May.2006||Finalist of the award to the Europe-wide best PhD thesis 2005 of the European Community on Computational Methods in Applied Sciences (ECCOMAS)|
|2013||Full Professor – Engineering Mechanics (Core Courses on Statics, Elastostatics, Dynamics) for more than 4000 Bachelor Students per year and Advanced Elective Courses (Biomechanics, Inelasticity, Porous Media etc.) for national and international Master Students, RWTH Aachen University, Institute of General Mechanics, Germany|
|2002–2013||Senior Lecturer / Privatdozent – Mechanics (Core and Elective Courses), University of Stuttgart, Institute of Applied Mechanics (Civil Engineering), Germany|
|Mar. 2015||Section Organiser Coupled Problems, 86th Annual Meeting of the International Association of Applied Mathematics and Mechanics (GAMM), ca. 1000 participants, Lecce, Italy|
|Sep. 2012||Minisymposium Organiser Computational Biomechanics – Porous Media, 6th European Congress on Computational Methods in Applied Sciences and Engineering (ECCOMAS), ca. 2000 participants, Vienna, Austria|
|2013||Professorial Member of the Examination Board and from 2014 of the Faculty Council and Strategy Committee of Mechanical Engineering, RWTH Aachen University, Germany|
|2009–2013||Non-professorial Member of the Election Committee of the Elite BSc programme Simulation Technology, University of Stuttgart, Germany|
|2005–2013||Non-professorial Member of several Faculty Committees of Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of Stuttgart, Germany|
|2015||Reviewer of an ERC Advanced Grant - 2014, European Research Council, Belgium|
|2013||Editorial Board Member of the Journal of Coupled Systems and Multiscale Dynamics|
|2013||Scientific Committee Member, ECCOMAS Thematic Conferences on Coupled Problems|
|2013||Academic Advisory Board: GACM Colloquium on Computational Mechanics|
|2012||Editorial Board Member of the Journal of Coupled Systems Mechanics|
|2012||Scientific Committee Member, Conference on the Biogeochemistry of Trace Elements|
|2012||Jury Member (Examinateur) of Dissertation Committee at l’École National Supérieur des Mines de Paris, Spécialité Mécanique, France|
|2010||Reviewer for German Research Foundation (DFG), Germany|
|2010||Reviewer for Fonds National de la Recherche (FNR), Luxembourg|
|2005||Peer Reviewer for several International Scientific Journals in the fields of Mechanics, Biomechanics, Computational Methods, Engineering Applications and related fields|
|2013||Charter Member of the GAMM Phase-Field Modelling Activity Group|
|2013||Member of the International Society for Porous Media (InterPore)|
|2011||Member of the German Society of Biomechanics (DGfB)|
|2010–2013||Associate Member of the International Research Training Group NUPUS|
|2003–2014||Charter Member of the GAMM Biomechanics Activity Group|
|2004||Member of the International Association of Applied Mathematics and Mechanics (GAMM)|
|1998–2004||Junior member of the Association of German Engineers (VDI)|
- Ehlers, W. & Markert, B. (Editors) (2012) Continuum Biomechanics. Proceedings of the 3 rd GAMM Seminar on Continuum Biomechanics, Report II-21, Institute of Applied Mechanics (Civil Engineering), University of Stuttgart, Germany.
- Markert, B. (Editor) (2011) Advances in Extended and Multifield Theories for Continua. Lecture Notes in
Applied and Computational Mechanics, vol. 59. Springer, Berlin.
- Markert, B. (2010) Weak or Strong: On Coupled Problems in Continuum Mechanics. Professorial
Dissertation (Habilitation), Report II-20, Institute of Applied Mechanics (Civil Engineering), University of
Stuttgart, Germany, ISBN 3–937399–20–8.
- Ehlers, W. & Markert, B. (Editors) (2005) Continuum Biomechanics. Proceedings of the 1 st GAMM Seminar on Continuum Biomechanics, Report II-14, Institute of Applied Mechanics (Civil Engineering), University of Stuttgart, Germany.
- Markert, B. (2005) Porous Media Viscoelasticity with Application to Polymeric Foams. Dissertation, Report II-12, Institute of Applied Mechanics (Civil Engineering), University of Stuttgart, Germany, ISBN 3–937399–12–7.
- Trends in Continuum Biomechanics and Mechanobiology, Special Invited Lecture, The Sirindhorn International Thai-German Graduate School of Engineering (TGGS), King Mongkut's University of Technology North Bangkok, Thailand, 17. February 2015.
- Coupled Multifield Modeling of Materials. Plenary Lecture, International Research Training Group (IRTG 1627) Virtual Materials and their Validation: German-French School of Computational Engineering (ViVaCE), Computational Science Workshop Berlin, Germany, 16. October 2014.
- Coupled Problems of Continuum Mechanics – Modeling and Simulation of Porous Media. Plenary Lecture, 1 st Seminar of the Graduate School Simulation-based Microstructure Design (SiMiDe), University Duisburg–Essen, Germany, 14. November 2013.
- Advanced Continuum Approaches in the Biosciences. Invited Speaker, Centre Européen de Calcul Atomique et Moléculaire (CECAM) Workshop on Structure-Property Relationships in Hierarchical
Biocomposites, CECAM-HQ-EPFL, Lausanne, Switzerland, 16. – 18. July 2012.
- Theory and numerics of the strongly coupled problem of wave propagation in unbounded porous media. Keynote Lecture, ECCOMAS Thematic Conference on Coupled Problems, Kos Island, Greece, 20. – 22. June 2011.
- Multiscale aspects in biomechanics and mechanobiology. Invited Speaker, Centre Européen de Calcul Atomique et Moléculaire (CECAM) Workshop on Multiscale Computational Biomechanics, CECAM-ETHZ, Zurich, Switzerland, 14. April 2011.
- Modeling and simulation of spheroidal tumor growth. Plenary Lecture, ECCOMAS Thematic Conference on Modelling of Heterogeneous Materials with Applications in Construction and Biomedical Engineering, Prague, Czech Republic, 25. June 2007.
- Continuum biomechanics with applications to spinal discs and tumor growth. Invited Presentation, Division of Material and Computational Mechanics, Department of Applied Mechanics, Chalmers University of Technology, Gothenburg, Sweden, 22. March 2007.
- A general polyconvex strain-energy function for fiber-reinforced materials. Sectional Keynote Lecture, GAMM Annual Meeting and Conference, Université du Luxembourg, Luxembpourg, 28. March – 1. April 2005.
- Multiphase modelling of soft tissues at finite strains. Keynote Lecture, 14 th European Society of Biomechanics (ESB) Conference, Minisymposium on Multi-Phase Modelling, ’s-Hertogenbosch, The Netherlands, 4. – 7. July 2004.